CAIS DSL failure: lessons in how not to inform

J.D. Falk jdfalk at mail-abuse.org
Thu Jan 25 18:40:11 UTC 2001

On 01/25/01, Steve Sobol <sjsobol at NorthShoreTechnologies.net> wrote:

> John Todd wrote:
>
> > When I'm on hold with a vendor and I get music (or worse, ads) pumped
> > into my ear, I will often ask for the manager on the next opportunity
> > that someone comes on the line.
>
> I'm exactly the opposite. I don't necessarily want to hear ads, but I
> don't like not quite being sure whether I'm connected or not :)

	Back when I worked in the CAIS NOC, many years and at least
	one buy-out ago, we wanted to build a music-on-hold system
	that played really dark, eerie ambient music -- Coil is a
	good example, for those who know it.  Of course, we really
	wanted to be BOFHs back then.

	Now, I'd probably choose Brian Eno's "Music for Airports"
	and similar calming, inoffensive tracks.  But again, no ads
	of any type -- if you're calling because your service is
	broken, nothing will increase your anger faster than some
	smarmy salesperson talking about 100% uptime.

--
J.D. Falk                   "The Internet isn't just a publishing medium or a
Product Manager                     medium for commerce, it's a social medium."