peer "sanity" filters - best practices?

David P. Maynard dpm at flametree.com
Wed Jan 24 22:06:25 UTC 2001

Several times over the past few years, the NANOG list has discussed the
topic of if or how non-transit peer BGP announcements should be filtered.
I searched through the archives, but couldn't find where anyone had
published a summary of best practices for filtering announcements from
peers that aren't one of the "top N" (for some debatable value of N)
NSPs.

What I am looking for is a set of filters that implement a sanity check
to catch some of the recurring BGP config problems.  For example,
if SmallTime Internet suddenly starts announcing that they provide transit for
UUNET, I don't want there to be any chance that I will start sending my
UUNET-bound traffic to SmallTime.

Some of the "rules" I can think of would be:

- peers should not be announcing transit routes from the top N transit
  providers (implemented via AS filter-list blocking the top transit ASNs)
- peers should not be announcing RFC1918 networks (implemented by prefix-list)
- peers should not be announcing the same networks that "I" originate
- peers should not be announcing a default route
- peers should not announce more than n-thousand routes (implemented
  using the Cisco 'maximum-prefix' option)

These rules would theoretically be applied to any peers who weren't part of the "top N."  In practice, I'm thinking of peers that announce 1 to a few thousand
prefixes.

Is the idea even feasible?  If so, what other rules make sense?  One other
option would be to limit announcements to /24 and shorter.  Is there any
agreement on the "top N" ASNs that "normal" peers shouldn't be announcing?

Thanks.

-dpm

P.S.  My interest is not just academic.  These filters will get installed
on one of my customers' networks.  They have had a fair number of problems
with peers announcing routes that they shouldn't and I am looking for ways
to help reduce the problem.

--
 David P. Maynard, Flametree Corporation
 Network Infrastructure and Monitoring Solutions