clue for the clueless please

Peter Galbavy peter.galbavy at knowledge.com
Tue Jan 23 10:36:33 UTC 2001

This is a Microsoft Passport / Hotmail access question, so if these are
alien to you, please move on...

Before anyone has a go at me, I have looked on their web site(s) and cannot
find any policies or pointers that are outside "forgotten password" land
etc.

We have turned up a new customer for BGP multihoming with a new IP block
from RIPE (217.71.224/20) and in testing we are having problems getting to
certain sites. Normally I would attribute this to no reverse DNS (yet), but
for Hotmail it is getting weird.

The reverse DNS issue is in hand and is awaiting DNS servers to be up etc.

The Hotmail issues (and maybe some other sites we have not yet got to)
appear to be IP block related. Do "they" do some sort of geographical
redirection or filtering based on IP block or AS number ? Testing from
another IP (OK, the nearend point-to-point address on one of the routers)
which also does not have reverse DNS but is in an older IP block, in a
different AS works fine.

The problem is the redirection from authentication -> mailbox. It just
hangs. Tested with multiple browsers (lynx included ;) and all the same.

And pointers would be greatly appreciated.
--
Peter Galbavy
Knowledge Matters Ltd.