Inter-provider communications (Re: nobody @home)

Patrick Greenwell patrick at cybernothing.org
Sun Jan 21 19:11:55 UTC 2001

On Sun, 21 Jan 2001, Steve Sobol wrote:

> Sean Donelan wrote:
>
> > I can bring the idea out of mothballs again, if folks are interested.
>
> I'd love to have access to the info. The question becomes how widely you
> want to distribute the list. At one end of the spectrum is a list shared
> only by Tier-1's and perhaps the admins at the largest of the smaller ISPs
> and NSPs. At the other end is Jared Mauch's publically-accessible list.
>
> Another thought - I don't advocate lots of government involvement in the
> Internet arena, but perhaps it's time that our Congresscritters demanded
> that these big companies talk to each other. Those big guys want us to think
> that Internet transit is as reliable as dialtone.[0] It won't be as long as
> they continue to make it difficult to stop attacks...

It gets even worse when said providers are sometimes recalcitrant or
outright refuse to help even their paying customers to mitigate and/or
trace attacks.

One large provider of hosting services who shall remain nameless in
the hopes they will become more helpful through private discussion
recently told one of my clients that placing RFC-1918 filters within their
borders(the client was being DDOS'd in part from machines within that
providers network) was "against policy" and they wouldn't do it.

I shudder to think what they tell non-customers(if they even talk to them
at all.)