Forcasts, why won't anyone believe them?

Timothy J. Salo salo at saloits.com
Wed Jan 17 05:48:12 UTC 2001

> From: Roeland Meyer <rmeyer at mhsc.com>
> Subject: RE: Forcasts, why won't anyone believe them?
> Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 19:49:45 -0800
>
> The assumption is wrong. A server motherboard and CPU draws the same power
> regardless of what it's doing. ...

I am just a software guy, but I believe that most _systems_ have a large
current draw when they are powered up, (e.g., all those fans, some of
which are pretty large).

I believe that the original comment was observing that there is often
quite a difference between the rated (peak) load offered by a device and
the average load.  Both are useful to know.

(I assume that everybody, sometime in their career, has learned about the
difference between peak and average load when they tried to power up all
of their routers at once and popped the breakers.)

-tjs