Forcasts, why won't anyone believe them?

Richard A. Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Wed Jan 17 00:06:40 UTC 2001

On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 03:43:31PM -0800, Sean Donelan wrote:

> 10 years ago, how many folks remember going to the phone company and
> telling them "I need 600 phone lines in my basement."  And the phone
> company replying, "No one needs 600 phone lines, here is 6." "No
> really, I need 600 lines in the next 12 months."  The phone company
> replies, "When you need them, then we'll install them." "How long will
> it take."  The phone company replies, "Don't worry, we know what we're
> doing, that's none of your concern."

To be fair, if all the customers in a colo used the amount of bandwidth
they predicted they would at the rate they would, current facilities would
be out of capacity after a few dozen racks. Most customers can't predict
for squat, so when a real figure comes along it takes more work to make
sure its believable.

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras at e-gerbil.net>   http://www.e-gerbil.net/humble