Favorites (Re: UUNET peering policy)

Paul Vixie vixie at mfnx.net
Tue Jan 16 06:37:31 UTC 2001

rmeyer at mhsc.com (Roeland Meyer) writes:

> To top it all off, it is not all that clear that AboveNet has no retail
> transit feeds. ...

I had no idea (that this wasn't clear).  There is never a telco circuit
between Abovenet and a customer -- it's always a private right of way,
usually a piece of fiber but sometimes copper.  Abovenet's customers
include ISP's and IAP's and ASP's and so on.  Your word ("retail") isn't
accurate since Abovenet's customers also include IP bandwidth consumers,
not just resellers.  But it's absolutely true that our equipment is always
colocated with the customer's equipment.  Sometimes it's our location,
sometimes it's the customer's location, sometimes it's a third party's
location.  But it's always some shared location, thus the term "colocation".

If there any other questions about Abovenet, please address them to me
privately unless you're REALLY SURE that all of NANOG wants to hear the
question (and my near-inevitable answer.)
--
Paul Vixie <Paul.Vixie at MMFN.COM>
CTO and SVP, MFN (NASDAQ: MFNX)

AboveNet, PAIX, and MIBH are subsidiaries of Metromedia Fiber Network, Inc.