Favorites (Re: UUNET peering policy)

Daniel L. Golding dan at netrail.net
Mon Jan 15 18:50:35 UTC 2001

The argument that "outbound is bad" was particularly sound when most
national backbones were 1) leased and 2) small. That's not really the case
anymore. With lots of bandwidth, this paradigm should really start to
shift - who cares if someone if dumping outbound on you, and you have to
backhaul it across the country? There would seem to be no actual economic
reason to justify traffic ratios - except, of course the desire to
discourage peering and encourage transit, but not removing a barrier that
once was meaningful, and now is deprecated.

I don't feel sympathy for the example of many dialup POPs and a few large
data centers. There is a value for both parties in the exchange - content
is delivered to customers faster. With the cost of long-haul taking a
dive, one might think this would have more impact than a traffic ratio.

- Daniel Golding