Access Numbers [OT]

Alex Pilosov alex at pilosoft.com
Mon Jan 15 18:16:00 UTC 2001

On Mon, 15 Jan 2001, deeann mikula wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Jan 2001, John Paul Martin wrote:
>

> > Our ISP is exanding into other areas. Where can I find a list of what
> > numbers certain cities can dial locally? We want to get the best location
> > and phone number for the buck.
<snip>

> if anyone knows of a centralized listing, i'd love to see it.  this is
> something that i deal with everyday, and it can be messy.  generally
> we get a table of "this NXX can be dialed toll free from these NXXs"
> from whomever is providing our virtual NXXs.  however, those lists
> have proved incorrect in the past, and we INSIST that our phone staff
> tell our customer to check their access number using the above
> methods.

Look at the LERG (local exchange routing guide), available from
www.trainfo.com, 800$/single issue (monthly snapshot). If there are any
cheaper ways to get the LERG, I'd love to hear about them.

LERG has each NXX's 'rate center'. Calls within one rate center are
local. (I am not sure if it is mandated by FCC or individual PUCs)

There are some cases where calls between different NXXs in different rate
centers are considered local, but that varies between LECs, and I don't
think LERG covers that.

-alex