route reflectors

Jesper Skriver jesper at skriver.dk
Fri Jan 12 21:49:05 UTC 2001

On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 12:39:19PM -0600, Tony Mumm wrote:

> Nanog:
>
> I am looking back into researching the many flavors of route
> reflectors, and would like everyone's opinions on what to use.  I
> believe we have hashed through this in the past, but as these things
> move quickly, it might help to discuss the latest.
>
> I would like to consider both sides of the equation, using router
> based platforms, as well as PC or workstation type reflectors.   I'm
> sure we all have pros and cons to either method.
>
> I'm trying to consider the entire range of reflectors, all at varying
> levels of cost.  The gauntlet runs from free software that is
> entirely unsupported up to support contracts where a software
> developer will live with you.
>
> Just to add my thoughts:
>
> I'm leaning towards PC/Unix based reflectors just due to the cost of
> hardware, especially memory.  It is much easier to have parallel and
> redundant workstations, than it is to have a carrier class router.

In a network so large that you NEED route reflectors, the cost of those
is not a big percentage of the overall cost, and by using routers you
get the samme support on a very vital component in the network,
as you do on the rest of the network, and not least consistent
configuration interface.

just my 2 cents

/Jesper

Work:    Network manager @ AS3292 (Tele Danmark DataNetworks)