Exchange point networks

Jim Dixon jdd at vbc.net
Wed Jan 10 08:12:19 UTC 2001

On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, Randy Bush wrote:

> and, from an american commercial point of view, this week's wonderful
> linx-ism, linx admin publicly announcing that a peer's bill is overdue,
> and giving their name etc., was absolutely over the top.

The LINX is in effect a partnership.  It's owned by all of its
members. How would you propose that it deal with someone who hasn't
paid their bill?

The late payer's name was not announced publicly.  It was announced
to the other owner/members on a private list.

This is not a question of differences in practice between Europe and
America, nor is it a commercial vs non-commercial issue.

If the LINX were, for example, a American law firm, and one of the
partners wasn't paying his or her fees, I don't believe that anyone
would consider it at all strange if the other partners were informed.
On the contrary: partners would be outraged if they found that
office staff were concealing from them the fact that another partner
was not paying up.

--
Jim Dixon                  VBCnet GB Ltd           http://www.vbc.net
tel +44 117 929 1316                             fax +44 117 927 2015