No subject

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Tue Jan 9 17:37:32 UTC 2001

> The use of a BGP Route Reflector at an L2 IXP does not make it a L3 IXP.
> IMHO - L3 IXPs do not work any more. The "IXs" that use them are really
> 'international transit services' using the "IX" term to sell their service.

strongly agreed!

> The IXPs with lots of 2501s have scaled because of BGP Route Reflectors.
> The RR is a cheap low maintenance, low learning curve alternative to a
> Router Server. We know that cause it has proven it self in action for the
> past four years. Over time, the IXP can transition from a RR to a RS -
> like some large IXPs are doing now.

here i quibble.  i don't really like either reflectors or route servers.
let's ignore route servers.

what does an rr do for me other than slightly delay the isps having to
upgrade from a 25xx class router?

at the beginning, there are usually few enough peers and routes that a
simple switch and 25xx will do.

at the point where pure 25xx and switching (no rs no rr) starts to max out,
we're already getting on the steeper part of the growth curve.  so the rr
solution will not be long lived, and the financial benefits of the ix are
very clear.

so, rather than do the rr thing, which is labor intensive and a dead end in
the long run, just jump to routers that can handle it, like small 36xx (or
26xx if they have the ram, i really don't know that end of your products
well).

randy