No subject

Barry Raveendran Greene bgreene at cisco.com
Tue Jan 9 15:08:59 UTC 2001

The use of a BGP Route Reflector at an L2 IXP does not make it a L3 IXP.
IMHO - L3 IXPs do not work any more. The "IXs" that use them are really
'international transit services' using the "IX" term to sell their service.

The IXPs with lots of 2501s have scaled because of BGP Route Reflectors. The
RR is a cheap low maintenance, low learning curve alternative to a Router
Server. We know that cause it has proven it self in action for the past four
years. Over time, the IXP can transition from a RR to a RS - like some large
IXPs are doing now.