net.terrorism

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Tue Jan 9 13:49:50 UTC 2001

On Tue, Jan 09, 2001, Sabri Berisha wrote:

> > (relaytest.orbs.vuurwerk.nl), then you need a private connection to
> > that specific site, just as many academic sites test unstable network
> > software.  Expensive, but shouldn't be too bad considering that both of
> > you are in the Netherlands....
>
> If I want to make sure my traffic gets to that host, I can set up a static
> route to our second uplink. But it's not *me* who should be filtering. How
> do I know which other hosts are being announced and blackholed?

I was just about to say the same thing. I don't quite think of it
as terrorism, I just think its not nice for someone to decide
part of a net block they're passing the announcements for is being
selectively filtered inside their own network.

the host in question isn't even an above.net client - its a uunet
client.

If you have a problem with it, drop announcing the /16 to customers.
When customers complain about unreachability to a site, tell them
that uunet (note *uunet*, not vuurwerk) are breaking their AUP and
they should complain to uunet. You're still 'protecting' your
customers.

I'd rather get partial announcements than traffic-filtered announcements.
That way, my other network pipes (which hopefully have a path without
above.net in it to vuurwerk) will take over. above.net are happy.
vuurwerk is happy. life is good. no bitching or extra configuration.

(oh, and note: this opinion has nothing to do with my employer,
interpersonal relationships or my opinion of orbs. You might be
surprised how unrelated it is.)

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd			"Sex Change: a simple job of inside
<adrian at creative.net.au>	  to outside plumbing."