Operate until failure

Henry Yen henry at AegisInfoSys.com
Mon Jan 8 21:51:13 UTC 2001

On Mon, Jan 08, 2001 at 09:58:07AM -0500, Paul Timmins wrote:
> On 8 Jan 2001, Sean Donelan wrote:
> > I'm aware of a variety of proprietary software shutdown programs associated
> > with UPS vendors.  But I'm wondering do any "open standards" exist for
> > initiating soft shutdowns?
> Almost all UPS's on the market twiddle with the DTR and RTS signals on the
> serial port when a power failure or an imminent battery failure. You can
> generally twiddle a pin on the serial cable to shut it off as well.
> For APC smart UPS devices, people have reverse engineered the protocol to
> communicate in smart mode and get battery voltages and the like. Do a
> search for "linux UPS daemons APC" and you should find something of use
> (since you will probably have to read the source code to figure out the
> protocol, it helps if you know C)

And if you are running a late-model linux (preferably RedHat), you can
download APC's own "award-winning PowerChute Plus" software for linux from
their website.  It seems to be identical to PowerChutePlus running on
any other platforms, except that the interface is through X86.
--
Henry Yen                                       Aegis Information Systems, Inc.
Senior Systems Programmer                       Hicksville, New York