Exchange point networks

Howard C. Berkowitz hcb at clark.net
Mon Jan 8 20:17:40 UTC 2001

I like to think of a route server, when used for actual routing
exchange rather than statistics collection alone, as a means of
scaling eBGP by reducing the number of peers.  That complements a
route reflector, which is a means of scaling iBGP.

Bay RS, at one point, made a distinction between a route reflector
and a route reflector server, both for iBGP scalability. I'd have to
do some digging to find out if the latter was more than a marketing
distinction.