florida ix(en) facing south

Christian Kuhtz ck at arch.bellsouth.net
Thu Jan 4 23:29:25 UTC 2001

Przemek Karwasiecki wrote:

> get a

> but those "clueless folks" are just providing L2 switching and colocation
> in an essence.

Well, perhaps that is actually something to think about in a little bit more
depth.  In particular, the infrastructure that's present, the reasons for
chosing it, and the future path to me has a great deal to do with the long
term viability of a location and service offered.

> My point is -- it is important to whom do you peer at NAP,
> not who is your "real estate" landlord.

I think it is indeed important with whom you peer, but also where.  In fact,
none of that reduces the importance on how you peer, where you & your peers
are, how they get from a to b, who owns the facilities (real estate, fiber,
other telco facilities), where the facility is located, how do you find out
that things are well and who you call when something goes wrong etc etc
(because it invariably will, nothing's perfect).  And there are probably many
more questions one should ask.

> Don't you think?

Sorry, I disagree.  I think there are other details which matter a great deal
as well.

Cheers,
Chris

--
Christian Kuhtz <ck at arch.bellsouth.net> -wk, <ck at gnu.org> -hm
Sr. Architect, Engineering & Architecture, BellSouth.net, Atlanta, GA, U.S.