fwd ppml: ARIN asking about SWIP procedures

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Thu Jan 4 18:53:52 UTC 2001

> Finally, the ability to submit assignment and allocation information via
> rwhois seems like a license for inconsistency.  Rwhois was a great idea that
> never took off.  It would be interesting if this information could be
> provided by splintering off a new DNS class (or at least some new RR types.)
> Has anyone ever considered this?
>
> Mark

rWhois is still a great idea, however the learning curve is a bit steep.
It is possible to dump RPSL data into the DNS and use the inverse tree
to track assignments & allocations.  It can even be used to track
prefered announcing parties. (being able to track proxy aggregations
fairly easily.) Varients on these types of proposals were made in the
old RIDEwg in the IETF (prox 2 years ago) and there was a NANOG presentation
on using the data in the DNS to authenticate routing announcements. Twas
a bit extreme.

That said, I'll posit that the adoption rate of new DNS code is fairly
slow (based on 3 years of study) and so even if some goofy new class or
RR type is promoted, it would not get deployed anytime soon.

--bill