SLC power failures

Fletcher E Kittredge fkittred at sss1.gwi.net
Thu Jan 4 13:07:38 UTC 2001

On Wed, 3 Jan 2001 22:52:21 -0500 (EST)  David Lesher wrote:

> Unnamed Administration sources reported that Sean Donelan said:
> >

> > As power is being restored throughout the midwestern part of the US,
> > one interesting feature showed up.  A lot of telephone companies are
> > using Subcriber Loop Carriers (SLCs) to provide service.  Some phone
> > companies are using local power sources with limited battery backup
> > for some SLCs.  With the extended power outages, central offices with
> > generators maintained service; however, the remote equipment didn't
> > have local generators.  This resulted in people losing their local
> > loops and telephone service as the power outages lasted for days.
>
> Yep... The theory is, the RBOC has portable generators to deploy
> as needed. There's a male plug on each to receive same. That
> works fine for local failures (truck hits power line..). But
> in a widespread debacle, say Hurricane Andrew, earthquake, ice
> storm, etc... they have nowhere near enough, nor can they get
> them deployed fast enough if they did.
>
> ("re: Some" above; I've never seen a generator installation at
> a SLC...)

They were deployed in Maine after a large ice storm a few years back.
I am not sure if they were deployed by BA, or just by the independent
telephone companies.  A major drawback was found; they were stolen
with great frequency.  After a major natural disaster, there is a a
society-wide shortage of generators.  Some scum just cut the securing
chains, or shot out the locks, or ...

regards,
fletcher