IP Multicasting

Marshall Eubanks tme at 21rst-century.com
Tue Jan 2 19:55:20 UTC 2001

Ron da Silva wrote:

> Jared,
>
> On Tue, Jan 02, 2001 at 01:45:53PM -0500, Jared Mauch wrote:
>
> >       Verio, Sprint, Qwest, Digex/Intermedia, AboveNet/MFN and
> > GlobalCenter all have multicast enabled networks and offer multicast
> > services to customers last I knew.  I don't speak for any of them
> > so my information may be out of date...
>
> Is the interesting receiver population the operators of these major
> backbones and those of their (smaller?) customer networks?  Regardless,
> are the receivers that Deen desires to reach multicast enabled or not?
> Who do you want to reach with this application?
>
> -ron
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Ron da Silva               ron at aol.net
> Network Architect         703.265.4548
> America Online, Inc.

>From the sound of it, he wants to reach an academic audience,
which has a much higher chance of being multicast enabled.

FWIW, there are 321 autonomous systems on my current list of the
multicast enabled.

                                   Regards
                                   Marshall Eubanks

   Multicast Technologies, Inc.
   10301 Democracy Lane, Suite 201
   Fairfax, Virginia 22030
   Phone : 703-293-9624          Fax     : 703-293-9609
   e-mail : tme at on-the-i.com     http://www.on-the-i.com