Further Internet Metrics

Eric Lemond elemond at FastIdeas.com
Tue Jan 2 16:10:27 UTC 2001

The Internet Metrics post in December was a good starting point for my
research on backbone traffic, but I'm struggling to get more specific
information.  Specifically, I am trying to find out the market share for the
major backbone providers (so far I've found WorldCom 37% and Sprint 16% of
traffic).  Boardwatch has this breakdown, but by ISP connections (WorldCom
24% & Sprint 14%).  Is the percent of ISP connections a good estimate of the
percent of traffic a backbone carries?

Also, for the major backbones, is there any kind of breakdown of the percent
of a backbone's traffic that is for a corporate end user vs. a personal
dial-up or broadband account.  Specifically, does WorldCom, Sprint, C&W,
ATT, Genuity, Level 3's traffic have a strong tendency to be for corporate
or personal accounts?

Finally, Is there any source or estimate for the current total amount of
Internet traffic carried by all networks?

Any information or sources would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Eric
Eric Lemond
Interdiciplinary Telecommunications Program, CU Boulder
Intern, FastIdeas