How can we provide enough IP address to MAN network

Quark Physics meuon at highertech.net
Mon Jan 1 19:51:22 UTC 2001

> In my mind, we have the following choices:
> 1.  Build the MAN into a private address network, a class A network 10.x.x.x will be sufficient for
>      most metropolitan. But the cons is: need PAT/NAT to access public Internet, and that leads to
>      the potential performance bottleneck.

Build the network on sequential /24's in the 192.168.x.x range. Makes
routing easier. Using 10.x.x.x addresses leads to people messing up
netmasks and broadcasting all over the network. I've done two city wide
networks this way and it looks good in theory but sucks in practical
applications.

Then, as you need 'public' IP's you can route smaller subnets of public
addresses throughout this network. This also keeps your public servers
limited to  ones you know about.. (at least some).

DHCP? You have got to be kidding for a MAN.

Networking philosophy opinions are like bellybuttons, we all have them, we
all like our own, other peoples look funny, and most of them smell bad.

mike at geeklabs.com      mercenary geek soon to be looking for a new leige