Covad SUCKS!

David Schwartz davids at webmaster.com
Wed Feb 28 23:13:23 UTC 2001

    If I read this right, you are not a Covad customer, and you didn't
choose Covad service, your upstream did. It seems to me that:

    1) You are not in any position to evaluate Covad's relationship with
your provider. You have no way of knowing what Covad's contract looks like
with your provider or whether your provider paid its bills or abused its
service.

    2) Your complaint is with your provider, regardless of Covad's action.
If your provider did something wrong in their relationship with Covad, they
are at fault. If your provider did nothing wrong in their relationship with
Covad, they still chose Covad and didn't provide for decent fall back
provisions or legal protection for their customers.

    3) You have no way of knowing how much advanced notice Covad provided to
your upstream or what alternate options they could have taken but didn't.

    Please remember to aim before you fire.

    DS

> This is a blind message. I don't even know if it's getting out of my mail
> hub. Theoretically, it should. You won't be able to reply. I can route
out,
> but nothing can get back in.
>
> Some of you may remember a poster of this huge eagle stooping on a mouse.
> The mouse was calmly standing, facing the eagle, flipping it the bird. The
> title was "Defiance". Covad is the eagle, MHSC is the mouse, and this
> message is the bird.
>
> MHSC has been down since 7Feb01 and Covad is the culprit. MHSC pays its
> bills, but Covad had a problem with my upstream. On Wednesday, 7Feb01,
Covad
> cut off all links and feeds to my upstream. I've been down ever since.
> Everyone knows how quickly telcos turn up services, that's why co-lo
centers
> have customers. Covad cut off MHSC access, without warning, without,
> compansation, and their SafetyNet program is the worst joke. I have a /24
> and the new ISPs, that Covad is forcing me to use, can't assign a new /24.
> Shit, one of them can't even assign one static address. The one that this
is
> going out thru tis trying to convince me that I can run 62 computers,
using
> 130 IP addrs, on a /27 <heh>. We talked earlier about how non-portable
> addresses suck. Here is the reason why. I either use one of their
SafetyNet
> providers or suffer up to 45 days of outage. Two weeks of warning and I
> would have been able to avoid the outage. (BTW, my ISDN backup feed is
dead
> as well). I've tried contacting Covad, thier executive staff, etc. No joy
> there, Covad doesn't care.
>
> 100% of MHSC business is directly dependent on our Internet feed. 100% of
> February revenue is gone. I had two product roll-outs that were scheduled
> for the following week. Both are now dead issues. MHSC does CA for some of
> it's customers, renumbering invalidates all those CAs. Every lead we were
> working is now gone, probably forever, and so are many existing customers.
> I'm looking at probable business failure. MHSC could sue, but may not
> survive long enough to collect, even if we win. If MHSC survives this then
> "Damn, I good!"
>
> I urge everyone, do not;
> 1) Recommend Covad as a DSL provider
> 2) Become a Covad partner.
> 3) Remain on Covad service, find someone else (Rythyms sound good)
>
> Further, if you have any Covad stock ... sell it.
>
> The simple reason is that Covad has shown themselves unworthy of trust.
They