Seattle Earthquake

Wayne Bouchard web at typo.org
Wed Feb 28 22:15:54 UTC 2001

On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 01:55:56PM -0800, Matthew Schlegel wrote:

Okay, so what I have gathered from CNN and others as well as this list
and conversations with friends (not that I'm in the area, but just to
summarize for the sake of interest) is that

 Major routes, such as I95 over Mercer Island are open and operating

 SEATAC is still closed

 Trains are not running pending BNSF track inspection

 minor damage to buildings particularly in the older section of town

 westin building (and downtown generally) seems to have been undamage
 although taller buildings in downtown have been evacuated pending
 inspection

 AT&T Sprint are reporting some network disruptions in the area

 Localized cable failures affecting few customers

 trunk lines overloaded due to people frantically calling relatives

 19 injuries attributable to this event with 4 serious

 0 deaths reported as of yet

 17,000 customers without power

 depth was such that predictions are that it is unlikely an aftershock
 would be felt

 Governor will be holding a press conference soon to report on what
 has been discovered up to the present time

So, generally, it was a hell of a ride but everyone came through it
okay.

Wayne Bouchard                                    [Imagine Your     ]
web at typo.org                                      [Company Name Here]
Network Engineer
http://www.typo.org/~web/resume.html