Seattle Earthquake

Chris Kilbourn kilbo-list at forest.net
Wed Feb 28 20:31:14 UTC 2001

At 12:10 PM -0800 2/28/2001, Sean Donelan wrote:
>Cell phones in the area are very congested, and people report difficulty
>making phone calls in and out of the area.  I have not heard if any phone
>companies have imposed network management controls on voice traffic.

I have a Sprint PCS phone, all calls dialed left me with a fast busy
(when I could get carrier) until about about 30 minutes ago.
Now it rings but I get disconnected when the call tries to connect.

Land lines are still working fine, from my perspective. I just spoke
with my brother in Lacy, WA (about 15 miles from epicenter) in a different
area code, so that looks good.

I was also on the phone with someone in San Franciso during the event,
and the line stayed on.

>Folks have reported in from the Westin Building, the main Internet hub
>in the seattle area, that no substantional damage to the building.

We have circuits to UUNet, C&W and Zocalo. We did not see any outage
during the event, and packets are still flowing fine.

The freeways around here are another story though...
http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/PugetSoundTraffic/

Regards,

Chris
Chris Kilbourn                           Phone:   +1.425.483.0483
President / CTO                            Fax:   +1.425.482.6871
digital.forest, Inc.                where Internet solutions grow
19515 North Creek Parkway, Suite 314      http:    www.forest.net
Bothell, WA 98011                        email: chrisk at forest.net