64.0.0.0/8 etc. [was: Re: BGP Question - how do work around...]

Simon Leinen simon at limmat.switch.ch
Tue Feb 27 15:35:08 UTC 2001

[...]
> This could be a tricky way for someone to just use whatever
> otherwise unannounced space in 64/8, or it could just be a lame
> router configuration somewhere that the parties involved don't care
> to fix.

Certainly the latter (never attribute to malice what can be explained
with stupidity).  It's just too easy to forget "no auto-summary", and
too difficult to notice its effects - you'll attract traffic from
unused addresses under the classful prefix (64.0.0.0/8 in this case),
but there shouldn't be that much of it.  Of course once in a while
when a network using a more-specific prefix goes offline for a while,
you may receive quite a bit of unexpected traffic.  But I bet that
most ISPs don't have good tools to detect this either.  So we have to
wait until a nice person signals the problem to the offender.

For 64.0.0.0/8 this seems to have happened in the meantime... but now
there's a route for 62.0.0.0/8 (the RIPE equivalent of 64.0.0.0/8), sigh.
--
Simon.