Fw: Re: Warning: Cisco RW community backdoor. (fwd)

Simon Lyall simon.lyall at ihug.co.nz
Tue Feb 27 01:59:12 UTC 2001

Further updates.. It's not TOO bad.

--
Simon Lyall.                |  Newsmaster  | Work: simon.lyall at ihug.co.nz
Senior Network/System Admin |              | Home: simon at darkmere.gen.nz
ihug, Auckland, NZ          | Asst Doorman | Web: http://www.darkmere.gen.nz

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 21:54:50 -0400
From: Joe Abley <jabley at automagic.org>
To: nznog at list.waikato.ac.nz
Subject: Fw: Re: Warning: Cisco RW community backdoor.

More details below.

-----Original Message-----
From: "James A. T. Rice" <jamesr at rd.bbc.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 01:46:37 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: Warning: Cisco RW community backdoor.
To: <members at lonap.net>, , , <ops at linx.net>

Just a couple of things to note,

I've been asked what the backdoor is, if its the community "ILMI" or if
that was just an example, the answer is yes - "ILMI" is the backdoor
which gives read-write access to parts of the SNMP base.

Its looks like parts of my earlier email are somewhat misleading, the ILMI
community appears to only allow RW access to the system object and
possibly some more objects. Its not a 'standard' open RW community. hence
the damage caused by this backdoor is limited. There is still some write
access however, so the fix mentioned below is still highly recommended.

And of course - it allows people to read what IOS/model cisco you have,
which could be used to find exploitable bugs in that particular release.
Oh I wonder what the chances of having a router stolen due to discovery of
system.sysLocation is! :-)

Warm Regards
James

James A. T. Rice             | Email: jamesr at rd.bbc.co.uk
Internet Operations Engineer | Phone: 01737 839 737
BBC Internet Services, Kingswood Warren, Tadworth, Surrey, UK.

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, it was written:

---------