Next NANOG

Howard C. Berkowitz hcb at clark.net
Mon Feb 26 23:28:51 UTC 2001

>On Mon, 26 Feb 2001, Rodney Caston wrote:
>
>>  Vegas would be nice :)
>
>which allow Nanog to allow more people to go. Has there been talk about
>allowing more then 500 to attend?

That brings up an interesting question.  Is it desirable to have a
larger group?
I don't have a simple answer to this, but it's harder and harder to
get good interaction with a large group.

Not sure if this is a problem just with my aging hearing and vision,
but it's often hard for me to make out all the presentations unless I
get front-row seating.  Unfortunately, there was no wired front row
seating.

/* begin some sort of mode

    it would be FAR easier to understand, even with large rooms, if people
    would:

           use adequately large type on slides
           know that graphs to be seen from a distance can't be too busy
           SPEAK INTO THE MICROPHONE IN A CLEAR VOICE

*/ end crotchet mode.

With a larger group, there's more of a drive for parallel sessions
and all of the attendant logistics.  Even with parallel sessions,
there are limitations...many of the more popular IETF groups get far
too large for meaningful interaction. IDR is still within bounds, but
MPLS long ago passed the useful-meeting level.  Even if you have read
all the drafts and qualify for the first couple of rows, without
using some NFL blockers, skipping conversation at the breaks, and
quite possibly getting there early, the seats fill up.