IXs

Jim Pepin pepin at usc.edu
Sun Feb 25 20:47:30 UTC 2001

There are two parts to the exchange, known as MAE-LA to some. There is
the MFS part (MAE-LA) and the LAAP. The LAAP is run by USC/ISI and was
setup by Jon Postel several years before he passed away. In the last 18
months USC has setup a dark fiber based sites that make up the LAAP
exchange. Today we (USC) has space in 1 wilshire and we installed a
Foundry box with Gb and 100 meg ethernet ports. We used the dark fiber
to provision 3 Gb ethernets to the USC campus and then from there to
USC/ISI. If someone wishes to join the exchange we can attach them at
any of those sites. We have space for members at the USC campus and ISI,
at 1 wilshire people usually are there already and we have a cage with
our switch equipment. We will add capacity as needed to keep the
exchange viable.

Today the LAAP is growing and we are adding regional ISPs, content
providers, some larger ISPs and most recently the CALREN-2 network,
which now includes all UC and CSU campuses plus USC, Caltech, JPL and
Stanford. In the near future it will also include all school districts
in California. We also can provision some private ATM connections and
private VLANs for those who want to do private peering and are in 1
wilshire complex.

The web page for the LAAP is www.laap.net

Jim Pepin
CTO USC Information Services Division
Director Center for High Performance Computing and Communications
USC/ISI