DS3 Ordering Experiences

mdevney at teamsphere.com mdevney at teamsphere.com
Sat Feb 24 06:55:54 UTC 2001

L3 is the ghetto of colos.  Or maybe I just had a bad time with them.

The line:
A T1 from Sunnyvale to San Francisco took them 3 months to hammer
out.  Not that long, but then it's just a T1.  And why they didn't string
it from their their SF site is beyond me... I was working the Unix end of
that install, which was bad enough.

The cross-connect:
Three weeks to string 60 feet of cat5.  Not good.

The cage:
Three weeks per phone line, they said.  (The customer had three modems, so
needed 3 POTS lines.)  And, they run serially, not in parallel.  So, I
waited 9 weeks for an afternoon's work.  This, after waiting a month for
them to build the cage itself.

The Colo:
Dusty.  Like, really, really dusty.  And warm.  Computers do not care too
much for dust in their works, nor for 80-degree weather.  Ah, and the
telco closet, where my 9-weeks-in-the-making POTS lines were terminated
was an unlocked closet right off the main entrance to the machine
room.  It veritably defined spaghetti, and there was water (!!) on the
floor.  Like, big puddle, not just mop leavings.

And, an associate's FTP servers were down for three days, following a
botched MPLS implementation... But that's his story, not mine.

In Level3's defense, their IP services are relatively decent, and they're
probably the cheapest colo/ISP/whatnot that you're likely to
find.  Andonce stuff's installed, it doesn't seem to go down very
often.  And I'veonly dealt with Level3 in three projects, all at the same
colo in the same time, so maybe my problems were an isolated incident.  I
do know that I won't be giving them any of my business for a while.

Matthew Devney