History of private peering and exchanges?

Joseph T. Klein jtk at titania.net
Fri Feb 23 15:49:25 UTC 2001

This is from my swiss cheese memory ...

The NAPs where in full swing by early 1995. We put together the MLPA
at AADS by May 1, 1995 ... The date is on the web page:

http://www.aads.net/MLPA.html

Sprint, MCA, and ANS where the backbone providers brought into the
NAPs ... originally viewed as the New York NAP, Chicago NAP and
San Francisco NAP with MAE East tacked on as a legacy. MAE-East
and MAE-West in part fed off the Federal exchanges, FIX-East
and FIX-West/NASA.

By the time of the MLPA the big boys where erecting fences in an attempt
to keep others out of the club.

I have a feeling that if peering was looked at purely based on economics
it would make no sense for a large provide not to peer with a smaller
provider if the later had a national backbone and could provide diverse
peer points.

The development of the network providers around DC in Maryland and Northern
Virginia are tied into the shift from the University and Government Internet
into the private sector Internet and the growth of MAE-East. That chapter
alone would probably make for a good book.

The history of the Internet so far does not support the view that the
exclusionary policies of Sprint, MCI and ANS did anything to keep out
competition, improve the respective networks, or keep them at the top
of the heap.

Bill Manning was involved in a lot of the exchange point
development. I remember getting a crash course in exchange points
from him on a marker board at ISI in late '95.

--
Joseph T. Klein                                 +1 414 915 7489
Senior Network Engineer                         jtk at titania.net
Adelphia Business Solutions        joseph.klein at adelphiacom.com

  "... the true value of the Internet is its connectedness ..."
                                         -- John W. Stewart III