History of private peering and exchanges?

Jeff Ogden jogden at merit.edu
Fri Feb 23 14:40:39 UTC 2001

There is some background and history available at:

    http://www.merit.edu/merit/archive/nsfnet/

While the vBNS connected the NAPs, very few organizations were
allowed to use the vBNS and so most traffic exchanged at the NAPs was
from commercial networks.

My (less than perfect) memory is that private exchanges between
commercial backbones started to get serious in late 1995 and 1996
when some NAPs for some periods of time were or were perceived to be
bottlenecks. Some of the first were between internetMCI and other
networks (SprintNet, uunet, ...).

You need to work the federal exchange points (FIXs) into your history
and the MAEs.

Some other history collections:

    http://www.merit.edu/merit/history.html

   -Jeff Ogden