History of private peering and exchanges?

Howard C. Berkowitz hcb at clark.net
Fri Feb 23 14:20:16 UTC 2001

Points well made. Perhaps I should clarify that my initial goal was
more to track the evolution of commercial services. There's no
question that individual academic and government networks preceded
commercialization. For that matter, the evolution of regionals from a
cooperative to a commercial model also isn't simple.

Thanks to all from whom I'm getting responses.  Several people have
pointed out that various key events in this history haven't really
been written down, and I hope I can pull some of these together and
make them available to the community.