rfc 1918?

Rancken rancken at atlantic.net
Fri Feb 23 09:52:51 UTC 2001

On  Thursday, February 22, 2001 10:14 PM, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu (Valdis Kletnieks) wrote:

That's probably optional.  But if you have the router resources to do it.
every little bit helps.  You probably should filter and log it, to find out
why one of your hosts is trying to send to a 1918 address outside your
site - if you're not using 1918 space, it shouldn't happen, and if you ARE
using it, the packet should have ended up inside your net, not on your
border router.

Which is quite true, but there are a lot of people out there still using hubs, which (along with improperly configured NATs) probably explains the origins of a lot of this traffic.  Which brings me to my point - some of us are actually grateful for having our Private (pun intended) packets filtered while we were setting up a network.
John T. Rancken II
Rancken at Atlantic.net (which is my isp, not where I work :).