rfc 1918?

Stephen J. Wilcox steve at opaltelecom.co.uk
Thu Feb 22 22:40:11 UTC 2001

> No John, there are exactly zero reasons, good or otherwise, for allowing
> any traffic with RFC-1918 source addresses to traverse any part of the
> public Internet.  Period!  :-)

Altho Path MTU from RFC1918 P2P links will arrive and if you block them
you'll find strange things occur on transfering data so you cant say
nothing should come on 1918 space.

> > That's not a good reason. Nobody should be generating public traffic from
> > those addresses, "making them work" is not an Internet-friendly decision.

I agree, altho a lot of people do use 1918 for their p2p.

> The sooner RFC-1918-sourced packets get filtered (i.e. the closer to

until the previous item is fixed tho you'll break things if you do this.

Steve