Beer and Gear surprise

Etaoin Shrdlu shrdlu at deaddrop.org
Thu Feb 22 16:57:48 UTC 2001

Ukyo Kuonji wrote:

> Why would someone need to buy Merit?  Nanog doesn't belong to Merit, does
> it?  Funny, I though it was the North American Network Operators' Group.
> Doesn't that imply that it collectively belongs to those of use that
> consider ourselves operators?

Not in this country, bucko. It's a mailing list. Get over yourself.
Usually this list is so interesting, and filled with content, that I
overlook the occasional silliness ("network for sale" comes to mind) in
favor of the rich educational experience that NANOG offers. I can't
believe that you are STILL whining over the fact that you didn't get the
latest coffee cup or tshirt (hey, I'd like a Juniper router as a
giveaway, if there are any left).

> 2)  What gives Merit the right to make decisions about the group without
> consulting the membership?
>
> (Hint:  It's not in the charter, or anywhere else I could find)

Oh, and there is no membership. Did you send in dues? Were you invited
in?

> I would propose one of the following:

> 2)  Remove Merit from the ruling body.  There is no reason, today, that the
> web site and mailing list could not be hosted by someone else.

I hope that Queen Susan is reading this. Ruling body, indeed.

> I don't want to play politics, but I think something needs to be done.

Right, you don't want to play politics.

> Opinions in this email are the personal opinions of the author and are not
> associated with author's employer.  This email account is a not the regular
> email account of the author and is being used for the protection of the
> employer.

Probably a good thing, in this case.

Congratulations! You've actually made the list. You join ONE other
person from NANOG.

*plonk*

--
Membership? I never join anything. Subscribe, sure, join, never.