Monitoring/Trending Software -- Which Package(s) do y

Sykes, Phil Phil.Sykes at cweurope.net
Thu Feb 22 01:52:53 UTC 2001

 [Disclaimer: I'm talking about $100K+ network monitoring systems here. For
free usage monitoring, IMO you can't beat Cricket,
http://cricket.sourceforge.net]

Most larger ISPs that I've talked to seem to have gone beyond Openview for
network monitoring (or at least it's only one of the systems in use).

Micromuse Netcool gets mentioned a lot of places for service/router
monitoring, but it doesn't (out of the box) do usage monitoring or trending.

Riversoft's Openriver is very, very shiny, and I believe their new release
was slated to do usage data collection, with some interesting abilities to
profile 'normal' traffic on a link and alert when it stops being normal
(more options than just 'if it goes over 90%, send a trap').

Quallaby's Proviso is apparently also pretty good for usage monitoring, but
I haven't played with it.

 I seem to remember there was a discussion about this on inet-access around
a year ago where someone posted some good evaluations -
http://www.moongroup.com/inet.php might be your friend for tracking it down.
news:c    omp.dcom.net-management might also be a good place to look (if
only deja still worked :-).

Cheers,

Phil Sykes, Network Engineer
Cable & Wireless Global Network