Beer and Gear surprise

John Fraizer nanog at Overkill.EnterZone.Net
Wed Feb 21 21:23:44 UTC 2001

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Joe McGuckin wrote:

> My impression of the beer-n-gear is that it was just like all the
> other ones - e.g. Juniper, Cisco, etc showed off their latest
> heavy iron and there was free finger food & beer.
>
> If you came to NANOG expecting to return home with a suitcase
> stuffed full of free frisbees, t-shirts and key chains - might
> I suggest that you attend a gift industry conference next time?
>
> Joe

Agreed.  I don't see the problem with a vendor having goodies to give out
however and really don't follow someone being offended by a vendor giving
out boxer shorts.  Was cisco forcing someone to take the shorts?  If
someone is offended that easy, boy would they be surprised to see what is
going down the pipe.

I don't think I've ever been to a convention that didn't have some sort of
trinket.  It is not why I attend them.  It is still a part of the overall
experience though.

---
John Fraizer
EnterZone, Inc