(OT) Re: Beer and Gear and Merit

Jeff Ogden jogden at merit.edu
Wed Feb 21 20:51:35 UTC 2001

At 12:03 PM -0500 2/21/01, Douglas A. Dever wrote:
Merit is ultimately rooted in university and government.  The ultimate
>bastion of political correctness.
>
>I've always wondered if the academia folks who helped destroy CICnet
>with their lack of business sense ever thought about screwing up Merit.  I
>know some folks who'd be willing to buy MichNet on the same terms that
>they stole CICnet out of the gutter.

Merit is governed by a bunch of Michigan universities. But to be
honest NANOG doesn't come up for discussion at Merit Board meetings
too often. And as far as I know Beer and Gear has never been
discussed by the Merit Board. Merit isn't directly tied to or
controlled by any governments unless you count the public
universities as government or you think that governments control us
all at some level.

Sorry, but MichNet isn't for sale.  I don't know if that is a sign
that Merit is or isn't screwed up, but whatever it is it isn't
anything new. We've either been screwed up, or not, or something in
between for many years now (34 and counting in fact).

    -Jeff