Network for Sale

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Tue Feb 20 10:13:00 UTC 2001

On Tue, Feb 20, 2001, John Fraizer wrote:

[snip]

> My alcohol induced deductions based on the limited information you have
> provided lead me to believe that your product, if it in any way is like I
> imagine it to be, will do more harm than good and as such, should be
> squashed like a fly.
>

> Feel free to embarrass me by releasing the protocol and showing that what
> you're doing is in no way like what I have outlined above.

... and just elaborating on John's point - I'm sure we've all been burnt
in the past by "fabulous new technologies" and so we are now hardened
skeptics when it comes to proprietary technologies.

Which isn't to say its good. Believe me, I'm sure quite a lot of us
would absolutely love you if your technology was proven to be a big
win.

The trouble with it being a "big win" isn't just having it work,
but having it released so that the rest of us can find possible
holes and fill them. But then, the openness, feedback and ensuring
patents can stop something cool and new like this from actually
being _deployed_.

Remember, just because something is open, doesn't mean your profits
are less. Further proof of this is left as an exercise to
the reader. :-)

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd			"Romance novel?"