Network for Sale

John Fraizer nanog at Overkill.EnterZone.Net
Tue Feb 20 07:40:14 UTC 2001

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Jay wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, John Fraizer wrote:
>
> > Yes Jay.  I am interested in your technology.  Beyond the fact that it
> > appears to be 100% marketing hype BS, can you elaborate, _WITHOUT NDA_
> > about the following:
>

> A corporate web site, most often, is meant to be a marketing tool. We all
> know that marketing and engineering doesn't always mix well. Rather than
> dwelling on the flame-bait, I'll just address your questions as best I
> can. Some of the information is proprietary, and will not be disclosed
> with, or without, an NDA.

Sweet.

Read: "Our marketing department came up with this.  Engineering is still
trying to figure out what the ^&*K they are talking about.  As a result,
we are not at liberty to discuss it, period, the end."

> > (1) How does your "Best Path Global Transit (tm)" interact with the GLOBAL
> > STANDARD BGP4 with respect to:
> >
> > (a) Influencing INBOUND data
> [snip]
> > (z) Influencing INBOUND data
>

> We influence (NOT control) inbound data a number of ways (some
> proprietary, some not). One of which is that we purchase all of our
> transit from the major carriers. With this relationship, we can get them
> to "do the right thing" on their end(s).

So, what you're saying is that you have come up with a _better_
SAVVIS/INTERNAP model.  OK.  Why don't you just have your marketing
monkeys say that?

> > (2)Is your "Best Path Global Transit (tm)" going to be released to public
>

> At this time, Best Path Global Transit will continue to be held as a
> proprietary technology. It does fully interoperate with BGP, but will
> remain proprietary for now.

I know.  I know.  It's hard to release a "vapor" protocol.  You need
Microsoft Marketing to do that.

> > (3) Have you thought about how much the rest of the world is going to
> > laugh at "Tier-0?"
>

> I have already addressed this point in a later reply on this thread, but
> I'll say it again... I don't agree with the "Tier-n" stuff, regardless of
> what the "n" is. Our web site is currently in the process of a re-do, and
> I'm certain that terminology will not be in the new version. Sometimes
> trying to contain marketing == herding cats. :)
>

> ~Jay

I'll give you credit for this much.  You have someone subscribed to NANOG
and someone up when the rest of us who REALLY run networks have the time
to have an email conversation.

_AND_ You have made me laugh after a REALLY long and stressful day.

---
John Fraizer
EnterZone, Inc