Network for Sale

Jay jay at opnix.com
Tue Feb 20 00:27:48 UTC 2001

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Troy Corbin wrote:

> late-nite call to the Opnix NOClet on duty to find out why a certain
> netblock was unable to connect to the Opnix webserver(s) received the
> response "Are you a customer? I dont recognize your voice..." How does

I've never heard of that one. Likewise, that's a crappy response. I'll
forward this to our NOC Manager and CTO. Nobody's perfect, but the reply
you got is totally unacceptable. I can assure you we don't handle calls
based on voice recognition. :)

> On a semi-technical front, what are you using to monitor RTT and how do

All of our tools/systems/protocols/etc... are proprietary, but just from
the RTT perspective, traceroute or ping can give you a very basic RTT
measurement.

Speaking of tools, we're releasing an open source utility called "OpRoute"
at the end of this month. The tool works something like traceroute, but it
also reports # of NAPs, AS hops, layer 3 hops, latency, packet loss,
etc... It also gives you the option to show a side-by-side compariason of
those statistics (from "a" to "z") on your network versus another outside
network.

Anyway, this is coming out (with source code) at the end of the month --
if interested, I'll post a notice to this list when its released.

> you switch to new paths when you see that a current path is
> congested/latent/etc? How do you adapt to changes without thrashing, and
> how do you handle multi-homed customers, particularily those that are

"Thrashing" routes is a concern. We have to throttle-back our
optimizations and have put in some algorithms for dealing with this. The
actual process of changing the route we do with proprietary protocols
in-house.

As for multihomed customers, that gets me into a whole new area... I don't
know if this list would care to hear the entire bit, so I'll just hit the
basics. If anyone wants more information, just email me off-list. Anyway,
our current product (bandwidth) is being augmented by a new product
(called IRIS) that goes into beta in April. IRIS is basically a
client-side version of the routing intelligence technologies which
interoperates with our core. IRIS is specifically for diverse networks
(multihomed or otherwise) -- no matter if they're using the Opnix
bandwidth product or not.

> multihomed to multiple Opnix PNAPS^H^H^H^(oops, wrong marketing hype
> engine enabled)POPS?

Heh, you can never keep the marketing department under control. :)

~Jay

--
~Jay