Using unallocated address space - for DoS?

Miguel A.L. Paraz map at internet.org.ph
Wed Feb 14 14:32:48 UTC 2001

On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 09:21:32AM -0500, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> You don't have to break into the "right" router; you just have to start
> announcing the networks in a way that your peers don't -- can't --
> detect is improper.

I did not mean that the network operator was malicious.  I meant, in the same
way that vulnerable servers are broken into and used for DoS, can routers
be broken into and do DoS via blackholes?  I think it is hard unless you
know the right combination of vulnerable router (sniffable LAN?) and
unprotected upstream or peer.

--

http://www.internet.org.ph		The Philippine Internet Resource
Mobile Voice/Messaging: 		+63-917-810-9728