Recap: Software to track IP Address

Devon True dtrue at xodiax.com
Sat Feb 10 22:44:16 UTC 2001

All,

Thanks to everyone who replied. Several people asked that I post some of the
suggestions that I received to NANOG, so here goes. :)

Lucent QIP <http://qip.lucent.com>
Granite Systems <http://www.granite.com>
Nets <http://www.open.com.au/nets>
Checkpoint MetaIP <http://www.checkpoint.com/products/metaip/>
Tree <ftp://ftp.tic.com/pub/tree/tree-0.0.1.tar.gz>
LanDB <http://avenir.dhs.org/landb/>

Several people also replied that they are building their own database using
either plain-text records or SQL databases (mySQL, PostgreSQL, mSQL, etc).

I have personally looked at Tree and got a demo copy of Lucent QIP (No
Windows 2000 server setup yet to test :) ). While testing tree, I found
documentation and some of the more advanced "features" (e.g. email alerts,
permission levels) were lacking.

On the flip side, QIP and MetaIP have the ability to manage your DNS and
DHCP services. While that is nice, I really don't need the functionality and
it does drive the price higher. :(

I would suggest trying out the above software. However, if they do not fit
your needs, it looks like you have to build your own.

-----
Devon True	CCNA			Tel: 502.315.6015
Xodiax Network Operations	Fax: 502.315.6035
<louisville.noc at xodiax.com>	URL: <www.xodiax.com>