California Seizes Power Contracts

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at civicnet.org
Tue Feb 6 13:37:30 UTC 2001

On Mon, 5 Feb 2001, Bradley Dunn wrote:
> At 10:29 PM 2/5/2001 -0800, Brian wrote:
>
> >Seize is really a poor word choice by the article's author imho.  They all
> >just wanna scare the crap out of us..
>
> We should be scared. California's power industry is being nationalized.

Nationalized would be seizure by the Feds, not the state of California.

Not sure why we should be scared, though. Government has a pretty good
track record of running electric utilities. Right now, LA Water and Power
is selling power to the rest of California - partly because they had the
good sense early on to buy into the Hoover Dam (another government
project).

The Center for Civic Networking 	    PO Box 600618
Miles R. Fidelman, President &		    Newtonville, MA 02460-0006
Director, Municipal Telecommunications
Strategies Program			    617-558-3698 fax: 617-630-8946
mfidelman at civicnet.org	 		    http://civic.net/ccn.html

Information Infrastructure: Public Spaces for the 21st Century
Let's Start With: Internet Wall-Plugs Everywhere
Say It Often, Say It Loud: "I Want My Internet!"