Vixie doing his part to make people upgrade (was:Re: Reasons why BIND isn't being upgraded)

Steve Rubin ser at tch.org
Sun Feb 4 05:50:48 UTC 2001

On Sat, Feb 03, 2001 at 09:44:54AM +0100, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

> Especially considering above.net:s adament stand on ORBS and their
> scanning.
>
> Massive irony?

<DISCLAIMER>
I am a former abovenet employee
</DISCLAIMER>

It's self defense.  Do you know how big of a pain in the ass it is when
100 customers get owned and script kiddies start launching <insert name of
'sploit here> from abovenet colos?  AboveNet has seen this happen too
many times and they don't want to see it again.  I am sure only the proper
tech contacts for the customer will be notified.  Some how I doubt AboveNet
will scan the entire IP range, generate a list of customers that are running
systems with security problems, and then post that list to NANOG.

Please go hassle UUNET for not filtering port 25 on their dial pools or
something!

--
Steve Rubin          / KG6DFV  /  Phone: (408)270-3258 Fax: (408)270-3273
Email: ser at tch.org  /  N57DL  /   http://www.tch.org/~ser/