Reasons why BIND isn't being upgraded

Jeffrey Meltzer meltzer at villageworld.com
Sun Feb 4 01:08:49 UTC 2001

>Just about every very large company that I've ever worked with. Also,
>having spent numerous years working the NAVSEA and other Pentagon systems,
>you are explicitly not permitted to install anything other than a
>vendor-provided patch.
>My god, are there really this many idiots out there that don't grasp how
>the world works?

See, i'm sitting here thinking the same thing.

Have you ever maintained a (bind|sendmail|etc) machine in a production,
internet connected environment? I'm not talking about a corporate LAN,
beind PIX's, etc.

Jeez.  If I waited for Sun to issue patches and upgrades, I would have
been hacked a long time ago....And, I feel sorry for anyone that does wait
for them.

I cannot believe that there are people that are really using (and not to
pick on Sun at all) Sun's bind and sendmail (and now apache).  Apparently
you live in a very straightforward world, and have no need for
customization.  Must have a real easy job.

(Sorry for the negativity).

I'm done with this thread.

Paul, Keep up the good work.  Whatever you people decide to do, the masses
will apparently have no choice but to follow :)