Reasons why BIND isn't being upgraded

Joe Rhett jrhett at isite.net
Sun Feb 4 00:38:20 UTC 2001

On Sat, Feb 03, 2001 at 02:11:25PM -0500, Adam Rothschild wrote:
> I'm a bit confused.  Under this arrangement, what incentive is there
> for security-conscious common people to run BIND as a name server,
> rather than its various alternatives, most of which don't require
> preferential treatment in order to get timely security
> advisories/fixes?

Let's say you get your patches from Sun, right? Sun gets information on
those patches from ISC, and releases them to you without preferential
treatment.

Just because you aren't aware of it, don't assume that software vendors
don't have private channels of communication with their providers.

Think before you speak.

--
Joe Rhett                                         Chief Technology Officer
JRhett at ISite.Net                                      ISite Services, Inc.

PGP keys and contact information:          http://www.noc.isite.net/Staff/