Reasons why BIND isn't being upgraded

Patrick Greenwell patrick at cybernothing.org
Sat Feb 3 22:55:42 UTC 2001

On Sat, 3 Feb 2001, jamie rishaw wrote:

> > Will these 141 organizations many of whose business relies on BIND be
> > eligible for your fee-based list? Do they consitute providers of "critical
> > infrastructure" in your eyes?
> >

> They're registrars.  The don't directly provide DNS in any more critical
> a nature than any commercial DNS provider.

Precisely the point.

> And, since they're commercial organizations using BIND in a commercial
> aspect, I think they can cough up the money.

I wasn't questioning whether or not they should help to fund the
development of a product they are using to make money with(the majority
of them at least), I was asking if they are eligible to join the
restricted, fee-based list as providers of "critical infrastructure." If
one of them is hacked, it could potentially affect resolution for millions
of domains(depending on the size of the registrar.) I'd say that for
any company and it's customers, that's pretty critical, isn't it?