BIND, djbdns, commercialization

Majdi S. Abbas msa at samurai.sfo.dead-dog.com
Sat Feb 3 22:28:33 UTC 2001

On Sat, Feb 03, 2001 at 04:53:30PM -0500, Adam Rothschild wrote:
> Agreed.  Likewise, I'd give some thought to using BIND again -- even
> paying for it -- if some commercial Vixie entity put out something
> like:
>
> 	lynx -dump http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/guarantee.html | sed -e s/"D. J. Bernstein"/ISC/g -e s/djbdns/BIND/g

	Yeah, that's some guarantee there, you betcha...

	Specifically, the parts that read:

	"I offer $500 to the first person to publicly report a
	 verifiable security hole in the latest version of djbdns"

	AND:

	"My judgment is final as to what constitutes a security hole
	 in djbdns."

	It's easy to offer money to your users when only 5 people
worldwide use your software. (And I'm convinced at least 4 of them
are on this list.)

	--msa